Verdict of last 5 box-office battles between big Ms
Mohanlal and Mammootty are known as the pillars of Malayalam film industry. When their movies are releasing together, it is such a joyous moment for every film buffs. Now, Mohanlal’s Velipadinte Pustakam and Mammootty’s Pullikkaran Staraa are gearing up for Onam 2017 release. Let’s check out the verdict of last 5 box-office battles between The complete actor and The megastar.
1. Pulimurugan and Thoppil Joppan
The last box-office battle between Mohanlal and Mammootty was happened in October 2016. The weapon in Mohanlal s hand was strong enough to destruct all current box-office records. Yes! Pulimurugan, the first 100 Crore movie of Mollywood. However, the Megastar was not ready to give up. His Thoppil Joppan, directed by Johny Antony, has received a superhit status and collected over 45 Crores worldwide.
2. Loham and Utopiayile Rajavu
Onam 2015 saw a fierce battle between Malayalam superstars in the box office. Mohanlal starrer action-thriller Loham directed by Ranjith opened with a record first day collection of 2.14 Crores. It became a commercial success with a gross collection of 12 Crores. Mammootty’s Utopiayile Rajavu, directed by Kamal, was released a week later and opened with mixed responses. The satirical comedy movie failed to live up to the expectations of the audience and could collect only 5.65 Crores from the box office.
3. Rajadhi Raja and Peruchazhi
Onam 2014 also saw a clash between the titans of Mollywood. Mohanlal starrer political satire movie Peruchazhi directed by Arun Vaidyanathan was the first onam release of 2014. Logic-less storyline and weak screenplay earned it mostly negative reviews from the critics and couldn’t justify the hype created by its pre-release promotions. Mammootty starrer mass entertainer Rajadhiraja directed by debutant Ajai Vasudev hit the screens a week later. It couldn’t either receive positive responses from critics or audiences. Both Peruchazhi and Rajadhi Raja which were aimed at satisfying fans’ needs couldn’t survive in the box office too long and failed to impress its audiences.
4. Best Actor and Kandahar
Best Actor which marked the directorial debut of Martin Prakkat starring Mammootty in lead role is considered as one of the best movies of 2010. This comedy family entertainer opened with positive responses from critics and was well received by both family audiences and fans. Kandahar, directed by Major Ravi, was the third installment of Major Mahadevan series. It was one of the most awaited releases of 2010 since it marked Malayalam film debuts of popular actors Amitabh Bachchan and Ganesh Venkatraman. But it failed miserably in the box office due to its poor script and unsound climax.
Winner: Best Actor
5. Shikkar and Pranchiyettan & the Saint
Mohanlal’s mystery thriller Shikkar was released on 9 September 2010, while, Pranchiyettan & the Saint, the movie that was owned by Mammootty by his effortless delivery of Thrissur dialect, was released a day later. Shikkar was a superhit and has collected over 12 Crores from the box-office. On the other side, according to Ranjith, director and producer of Pranchiyettan, it was not a profitable movie.
You may like
For Updates like us
More from blogs
- Lesser Known First Appearance of Popular Malayalam Actors
- Highest Grossing Indian Movies at UAE – GCC Box Office
- Madhura Raja vs. Lucifer: Opening day collection comparison
- Highest grossing South Indian movies at UAE - GCC Box Office
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at Karnataka Box Office
- Odiyan vs. Lucifer: Opening day collection comparison
- Most anticipated Malayalam movies of 2019
- Malayalam Movies 2018: Major disappointments
- Highest grossing Malayalam films at Trivandrum Multiplexes
More from boxoffice
- The Priest Box office Collection Report
- Forensic Box office collection report
- Trance box office collection report
- Anjaam Pathiraa Box office Collection Report
- Varane Avashyamund Box office Collection Report
- Ayyappanum Koshiyum Box office Collection Report
- Shylock box office collection report
- Big brother Box office report
- Prathi Poovankozhi Box Office Collection Report
More from News
- Prithviraj starring Kaduva's shooting suspended
- Suresh Gopi's Kaaval release date is fixed
- Lalbagh release announcement - Teaser coming soon
- Appreciation to The Great Indian Kitchen from Rani Mukherjee
- Aaraattu trailer releasing soon
- Allu Arjun’s Pushpa teaser is released; Where is Fahadh?
- Fahadh Faasil to be the part of 2 High Profile Movies
- First look poster of Soubin Shahir’s next Kallan D’souza is revealed
- Actor-writer P Balachandran passes away