Vijay Superum Pournamiyum Review: a watchable film
Vijay Superum Pournamiyum is the remake of Telugu film Pelli Choopulu. The movie is very much in the zone of director Jis Joy who has previously made movies like Bicycle Thieves and Sunday Holiday. The movie has its clear agenda about how to live your life the way you want to and that certainly is a positive. But the presentation is so loud and least subtle making it passable because of the lighter tone.
Vijay is a nonambitious young man and Pournami is an extremely ambitious girl. A wedding alliance becomes a reason for both of them to meet and talk to each other extensively. Because of their differences, they decided not to be together, but things took a different turn after that first meeting and the movie shows us how it shapes the life of the two.
Whether you would like this movie or not is directly dependent on whether you liked Sunday Holiday. Because this Jis Joy film feels so similar to Sunday Holiday in terms of the attitude. Humor, positive attitude and self-awakening of the hero with the help of the heroine was something we have seen in that film and Vijay Superum Pournamiyum has the same thing repeating in a different plot. Like I already said, there are so many areas where the lack subtleness will bother you as a viewer. And a lot of scenes should have been treated in a more calmer way which suits the Malayalam movie sensibility.
Asif Ali seriously needs to think about reinventing his craft by playing a wider range of characters. He has become this go to face for the industry to play aimless youth. There is one scene where Pournami is asking Vijay to be punctual and ready for the first business deal and because of the history of the characters Asif Ali has played in his career we will know what will happen. Aishwarya Lekshmi still has that natural way of talking and emoting which definitely helps the movie as that character is so important. Siddique gets the better lines and yet again delivers an impressive performance. Balu Varghese is the usual comedy companion while Joseph Annamkutty Jose hardly gets the spotlight.
Jis Joy’s moviemaking style is a mix of old school and new school. The old school habit makes it a bit loud in terms of presenting its ideologies. The spoon-fed positivity and motivation feels awkward at times. There is eccentric character behavior in the movie which made me feel that the movie was unnecessarily complicating things to create conflicts. I still don’t get why the heroine apologized to the hero for something where she is totally right. Like I said in the beginning, the intentions of the positivity factor here are appreciable, but the presentation is too much on the face. Renadive’s frames are nice. The music was nice while the presentation of some of the songs wasn’t.
Vijay Superum Pournamiyum is definitely a watchable film as a comedy. Because of the deliberate emphasis on positivity, there is a preachy angle to the content which doesn’t really go with the new age subtle approach of Malayalam cinema.
More from reviews
- Happy Sardar Review: Kalidas Jayaram, Merin Philip
- Android Kunjappan Version 5.25 Review: cheerful and engaging
- Moothon Review: a moving portrayal of human emotions
- Nalpathiyonnu Review: end result here is a disappointment
- Under World Review: a watchable gangster thriller
- Akashaganga 2 Review: another horror film you can laugh off
- Safe Review: this movie does a disservice to the cause
- Edakkad Battalion 06 Review: movie with a wafer thin concept
- Pranaya Meenukalude Kadal Review: a disappointing experience
More from boxoffice
- Nayattu Box office Collection Report
- Chathurmukham box office collection report
- One box office collection report
- Kala box office collection report
- The Priest Box office Collection Report
- Forensic Box office collection report
- Trance box office collection report
- Anjaam Pathiraa Box office Collection Report
- Varane Avashyamund Box office Collection Report
More from News
- Suraj Venjarumood’s brother step into acting
- Kho Kho will be Vishu release
- Ula‘s first look poster released
- Royals Captain sent gifts to Malayalam actors
- The Priest to be released in OTT Platform
- Prithviraj starring Kaduva's shooting suspended
- Suresh Gopi's Kaaval release date is fixed
- Lalbagh release announcement - Teaser coming soon
- Appreciation to The Great Indian Kitchen from Rani Mukherjee