Udaharanam Sujatha Review: a pleasant positive cinema
Udaharanam Sujatha is the official remake of the 2016 movie Amma Kanakku / Nil Battey Sannata by Ashwini Iyer Tiwari. This Phantom Praveen version of that movie has done justice to its original by staying close to the emotional core of that film. With a screenplay that was modified impressively and a bunch of memorable performances, Udaharanam Sujatha is a pleasant positive cinema.
A maid who lives in Chenkalchoola colony is our title protagonist. Sujatha works at many places to raise her daughter Athira. She has high hopes about her daughter but Athira wasn’t an ambitious girl. One day she told Sujatha that she will only become a maid as Sujatha is a maid. That shook Sujatha really hard. She decides to do something that would push her daughter to stretch her efforts. What is that and how it all goes is what Udaharanam Sujatha talking about.
The pleasant feel one gets after watching the original version is definitely there at the end of Udaharanam Sujatha too. I was someone who liked the original film and even after being a template predictable preachy one, it had a hearty story at the center which made the film something that will remain close to your heart. The last 20 minutes is the key area of the film and Martin Prakkat and Naveen Bhasker has rewritten that part very effectively. The emotional absorbance of the last quarter is more intense than the original because of the kind of changes they have made. The performances add more to those scenes and the final product looks good.
The Manju Warrier in Udaharanam Sujatha looks more fluent. She has got the slang and body language of the character correctly. And she also emotes genuinely without any theatricality. Anashwara Rajan who played the role of the daughter was also equally good. Joju George as the hilarious principal was damn funny. Nedumudi Venu, Mamta Mohandas, Swaraj Gramika, Sudhy Kopa, Abhija and several other actors are there in this film who have done a neat job.
Realism seems to be the way ahead in treating movies and Phantom Praveen also captures the emotions and situations very realistically. The politics of the basic story that has a parent forcing her dream on her kid was something that got mentioned while the original one released and here also that flaw is evident. But some of the interesting things that are there in the movie are certain additional characters who add layers to the narrative. Abhija’s character and Sudhy Kopa’s character are such additions which silently intensified the gravity of situation. Cinematography was really good and the music from Gopi Sundar was also nice.
Udaharanam Sujatha has done justice to its original version. The flaws in the film are not that big when compared to the emotionally engaging tale it tells through well etched characters performed by quality actors.
More from reviews
- Happy Sardar Review: Kalidas Jayaram, Merin Philip
- Android Kunjappan Version 5.25 Review: cheerful and engaging
- Moothon Review: a moving portrayal of human emotions
- Nalpathiyonnu Review: end result here is a disappointment
- Under World Review: a watchable gangster thriller
- Akashaganga 2 Review: another horror film you can laugh off
- Safe Review: this movie does a disservice to the cause
- Edakkad Battalion 06 Review: movie with a wafer thin concept
- Pranaya Meenukalude Kadal Review: a disappointing experience
More from boxoffice
- Nayattu Box office Collection Report
- Chathurmukham box office collection report
- One box office collection report
- Kala box office collection report
- The Priest Box office Collection Report
- Forensic Box office collection report
- Trance box office collection report
- Anjaam Pathiraa Box office Collection Report
- Varane Avashyamund Box office Collection Report
More from News
- Much awaited movie Hridayam's first look poster released
- Kesu Ee Veedinte Naadhan first look poster released
- Kunchacko Boban’s tamil debut ‘Ottu’ first look released
- Ramesh Pisharody steps into a new phase of his career
- Jayaram- Meera Jasmine combo in the new Sathyan Anthikad movie
- Suraj Venjarumood’s brother step into acting
- Kho Kho will be Vishu release
- Ula‘s first look poster released
- Royals Captain sent gifts to Malayalam actors