Overtake Malayalam movie review
1971 movie Duel was a classic. Because that television movie marked the beginning of a legendary film make whom we all now know as Steven Spielberg. He made that film on a constrained budget and schedule with limited technical advancement. And today a new director from Malayalam makes a rip off of that same movie diluted in the tackiest way making anyone who has seen duel angry as hell. The film is an absurd and occasionally unintentional comedy.
Bangalore Malayali Nandan is trying to move to Kerala after handing over his business to his friend. So the return journey was planned as a road trip with his wife and daughter. While going to pick their daughter from boarding school, Nandan and wife got followed by a deadly truck and the journey became a horrific one for them. How they survived it is what this movie talking about.
The mediocrity in the execution of each scene is very evident. The desperation to convey a story or message is the reason why John has added these back stories to a plot that is an exact copy of Duel. The sad part is that John seems to have no idea about how the lack of backdrop to characters helped Duel. By adding too many dialogues and silly dramas, this film is competing for being the worst of its kind. While the situation of the hero bothered you in Duel, Overtake in its entirety is a botheration for its viewer.
When you take a story from classic movies, you should either make it with complete conviction and quality or you should reinterpret it in your own way. Here both that isn’t happening. John and his writers have just added a cheesy predictable story to the skeleton named Duel. The lack of novelty is such that they even used the same truck in Duel which was referred as an Old Truck in 1971. We have killer machines like beasty trucks in our country and still, they didn’t have the creative instinct to go for that. The cinematographer has attached camera at the rims of wheels and the editing of the film is chaotic. The quality of visual effects is laughable.
The movie is testing Vijay Babu only in terms of physical strain. Parvathi, on the other hand, is really disappointing. The other characters in this movie have very less screen time and they include names like Ajay Nataraj, Krishna, Anjali Nair, Deepak Parambol and a few more.
If unintentional comedy is something that you like while watching a film, Overtake is an entire two hours of that. If you are looking for quality cinema, this is not the one you are searching for and for those of you have seen Duel, brace yourselves for impact.
More from reviews
- Njan Marykutty Review: a story that needs to be told
- Abhiyude Kadha Anuvinteyum review: a cheesy romantic film
- Kuttanpillayude Sivarathri review: a complete package
- Premasoothram review: it has the vibe of an engaging folklore
- Naam movie review - a watchable campus flick
- Kaamuki review - strictly for the masala flick lovers
- BTech Review: weak screenplay made this a clumsy one
- Ee Ma Yau Review: this movie would leave you spellbound
- Chanakyathanthram review: a crass one to sit through
More from boxoffice
- Njan Marykutty Box Office Collection
- Kaala Box Office Collection
- Mahanati Kerala Box Office Collection
- B Tech Box Office Collection
- Ente Peru Surya Ente Veedu India Kerala Box Office Collection
- Avengers: Infinity War Kerala Box Office Collection
- Ee.Ma.Yau Box Office Collection
- Aravindante Athidhikal Box Office Collection
- Thobama Box Office Collection
More from News
- Aparna Balamurali to share screen space with Kunchacko Boban
- Tovino Thomas’s Maradona release pushed to another date
- Amal Neerad – Fahadh Faasil movie finally gets a title
- Pranav Mohanlal to play a key role in Mohanlal’s next
- Haneef Adeni to direct Nivin Pauly in his next
- Mohanlal announces the title of his next with Ranjith
- Prabhu to share screen space with Mohanlal after a hiatus
- Queen fame Saniya Iyappan roped in for Mohanlal’s Lucifer?
- John Paul George’s Ambili starts rolling in Idukki