Ladoo Review: a no harm non-boring entertainer
In every promotional bit of Ladoo, the makers were emphasizing on the fact that it is just an entertainer. Well looking at the way the movie has shaped out, it could have been a peculiar looking comedy that got constrained and became a very typical comedy entertainer that is just watchable as the duration is just two hours.
SK and Rahul are wannabe womanizers who have been trying to impress their neighbor girl for some time. One day SK meets his college mate Vinu who says that he is in love with a girl and he has to marry her the day after. The clueless Vinu seeks help from SK to get it done and the movie Ladoo is about the adventures of this gang to make that marriage happen.
Arungeorge K David who previously co-wrote Masala Republic yet again goes for a slightly experimental movie that utilizes the possibilities of quirky humor. The sort of eccentric tone Ladoo has demanded it to stay honest to the genre it was trying to explore. But post interval that genre classification gets destroyed and the movie slips into phases were melodrama and emotional reactions start to play and the movie sort of lingers on elements that it should have skipped through. The back and forth nature of the treatment where it tries to be quirky at one moment and serious in the next scene confuses us as an audience on where to place our expectations.
Shabareesh Varma has a flow in performance. The blabbering SK was enjoyable in the first half but became a sort of annoyance in the second half. Balu Varghese managed to keep the tension of his character in a practical zone. The innocent Vinu was safe in the hands of Vinay Forrt. New face Gayathri Ashok was okay in her largely monotonous character. Bobby Simha wasn’t utilized fully. Dileesh Pothan is slowly becoming a really dependable actor and here also he manages to land his character very smoothly.
Arungeorge K David has definitely some idea about how the theme should be treated. But there are major compromises too. The interval Omni chase and the first song in the movie are noticeable sore thumbs of the screenplay. Sagar Sathyan’s efforts to merge realistic emotions with the basic comical tone of Ladoo don’t work. The politics and presentation of scenes individually were good. But in totality, there is an evident mismatch. If you have one scene that shows the sacrificial nature of the character played by Dileesh Pothan, the next scene would have some an irrelevant lousy comedy about Vinu’s legacy. Technical aspects of the movie are fine. Rajesh Murugesan’s contribution to the movie is mainly as a background scorer whereas the songs in the movie aren’t that great.
For its runtime of 121 minutes, Ladoo is a no harm, nonboring entertainer that you can sit through. It has its share of flaws which makes it that could have been better cinema. Watch, laugh and forget should be the best way to describe the experience of watching Ladoo.
More from reviews
- Mr. & Ms. Rowdy Review: an average popcorn entertainer
- Kodathi Samaksham Balan Vakeel Review: a passable one
- June Review: a sweet memorable woman-centric movie
- Oru Adaar Love Review: content scarcity at its best
- 9 movie review: not really a fresh concept on its core
- Kumbalangi Nights Review: well-crafted cinematic experience
- Lonappante Mammodisa Review: an updated Jayaram kind of film
- Allu Ramendran Review: Not another usual Kunchacko flick
- Sakalakalashala Movie Review: an extremely shoddy one
More from boxoffice
- Kodathi Samaksham Balan Vakeel Box Office Collection
- Oru Adaar Love Box Office Collection
- Lonappante Mammodisa Box Office Collection
- 9 Box Office Collection
- Kumbalangi Nights Box Office Collection
- Allu Ramendran Box Office Collection
- Peranbu Box Office Collection
- Irupathiyonnaam Noottaandu Box Office Collection
- Neeyum Njanum Box Office
More from News
- Asif Ali - Arun Kumar Aravind team’s Underworld launched
- Oru Adaar Love to be re-released with revised climax
- Kalidas Jayaram’s Happy Sardar to go on floors next week
- Joshiy’s next with Joju is titled as Porinju Mariam Jose
- Jayasurya to team up with Prajesh Sen again after Captain
- Fahadh Faasil – Sai Pallavi movie finally gets a title
- Renji Panicker to pair up with KPAC Leela in Jayaraj’s next
- Unni Mukundan joins the sets of Jayaram starrer Grandfather
- Veteran filmmaker Vinayan to cast Mohanlal in his next