Abrahaminte Santhathikal review: a watchable flick
Abrahaminte Santhathikal is a movie scripted by Haneef Adeni who previously made The Great Father. The vibe of this new action movie directed by Shaji Padoor is very similar to that of Adeni’s first film. Just like TGF, there are numerous places in this movie where you feel the lack of conviction presenting certain ideas and twists. But the kick it gives to a screenplay that is long and tedious till that point makes Abrahaminte Santhathikal a watchable flick.
Derrick Abraham is a quality police officer who has a great track record in solving crime investigations. The movie shows us Derrick Abraham’s efficiency in the beginning when we see him finding a serial killer. At one instant in his professional life, Derrick had to arrest his younger brother Philip after he was convinced that Philip was part of a murder. How that causes issues in their life is what the movie telling us.
The movie follows a template that rarely surprises you. We are manipulated to believe that this is that usual serial killer murder mystery. But no, that plot gets closed quickly. And in between that there is a hero entry sequence where we get to see the dashing stylish avatar of Derrick. The movie has a slow pace and is largely lingering on emotional equations between Derrick and Philip. The melodrama just goes on even in the second half for a while until a suspense twist appears towards the end making it a whole different game. Now don’t try to think much about the logic of what you see on screen. Just carry on with the Goosebumps you got because if you try to dig into it, there will be a lot of unanswered questions.
Much like almost all his recent films, Mammootty is used only for his aura and glamour in being Derrick Abraham. There are a few moments in the film showing the vulnerable side of the character, but that feels inadequate. Anson Paul delivers an uneven performance as Philip Abraham. Renji Panicker and Kalabhavan Shajon had a nice grace in their portrayals while the other members in the cast, namely Kaniha, Yog Japee, Siddique, Suresh Krishna, Maqbool Salman and Sohanlal doesn’t have much to do here.
The expectation was great from the film as Mammootty and Haneef Adeni reunited after The Great Father. Adeni is trying pretty much the same mold here in approaching his content. Director Shaji Padoor, on the other hand, is only concerned about the style factor. His DOP Albey has done that part effectively and with Gopi Sunder pouring in those background tracks, style is never really something this movie lacks. The sluggishness in the earlier portions is the major reason why I couldn’t really get excited about this film’s appreciable last quarter twists. The BGM becomes excessive at times and Mahesh Narayanan has tried to lessen the sluggishness caused by the heavy use of slow motion.
Abrahaminte Santhathikal is a relief for anyone who wished to see a better film from Mammootty because this one at least has moments that will at least please the fans. Like I already said, the vibe of this film is pretty similar to The Great Father and whether or not this movie will work for you can be assessed from that comparison.
More from reviews
- Happy Sardar Review: Kalidas Jayaram, Merin Philip
- Android Kunjappan Version 5.25 Review: cheerful and engaging
- Moothon Review: a moving portrayal of human emotions
- Nalpathiyonnu Review: end result here is a disappointment
- Under World Review: a watchable gangster thriller
- Akashaganga 2 Review: another horror film you can laugh off
- Safe Review: this movie does a disservice to the cause
- Edakkad Battalion 06 Review: movie with a wafer thin concept
- Pranaya Meenukalude Kadal Review: a disappointing experience
More from boxoffice
- Trance box office collection report
- Anjaam Pathiraa Box office Collection Report
- Varane Avashyamund Box office Collection Report
- Ayyappanum Koshiyum Box office Collection Report
- Shylock box office collection report
- Big brother Box office report
- Prathi Poovankozhi Box Office Collection Report
- Valiyaperunnal Box Office Collection Report
- Driving Licence Box Office Collection Report
More from News
- Urvashi pairs up with Dileep in Kesu Ee Veedinte Nadhan
- Joju to team up with Ahammed Khabeer again after June
- Lal to pen script for Lal Jr’s next movie
- Nikhila Vimal added to the cast of Mammootty’s next
- Anu Sithara to pair up with Jayasurya again in Aposthalan
- Here’s the title of Kunchacko Boban - John Paul movie
- Tovino Thomas’s big budget superhero movie starts rolling
- Mammootty to play a priest in his next movie?
- Popular cinematographer Ramachandra Babu passes away