Superhit Malayalam movies of 2017
The year started off with a theater strike that battered the Malayalam film industry terribly. However, many nice movies including Take Off, Angamaly Diaries, etc. were released later this year. Here is the budget and box-office gross of superhit Malayalam movies of 2017.
1. Jomonte Suvisheshangal
Eminent director Sathyan Anthikad’s Jomonte Suvisheshangal, which was released on January 19, was the first Malayalam superhit of the year. The movie tells about the efforts made by a carefree young man, to help his father to recover from an unexpected financial setback. Even though, the critics were not very much satisfied with the film, it became a superhit.
Collection: 20+ crores
2. Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol
It created history again, when Malayalam film viewers’ favourite onscreen pair Mohanlal and Meena came together with a family drama. The movie directed by Vellimoonga fame Jibu Jacob tells how parents’ love influences children in a positive way. Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol was a superhit and was the fourth consecutive 50 Crore movie for Mohanlal.
Budget: 8 crores
Collection: 50+ crores
It is a hopeful sign that, a path breaking attempt like Ezra that redefines horror in Mollywood, became a box-office success. The movie directed by debutant Jay K was an all-new experience for Malayalam movie lovers. Ezra, starring Prithviraj Sukumaran and Priya Anand in lead roles, was one of the fastest movies to reach 1 Crore club at Cochin multiplexes.
Budget: 10 crores
Collection: 52+ crores
4. Angamaly Diaries
Lijo Jose Pellissery’s Angamaly Diaries can be easily considered as one of the best gang rivalry movie ever produced by Malayalam film industry. The movie, scripted by actor turned scenarist Chemban Vinod Jose, create a grand opportunity for many new faces to prove their talent in acting. The movie produced by Vijay Babu under the banner of Friday Film House, was a surprise superhit and grossed over 20 Crores.
Budget: 3 crores
Collection: 25+ crores
5. Take Off
The grand success of Take Off, the movie which tells the story of Indian nurses, who were held hostage in Iraq by ISIS, underlined the fact that good movies would work in Mollywood even if there are no masala elements. Young talent Parvathy’s soulful performance is the major highlight of the movie, which is directed by editor turned director Mahesh Narayanan.
Budget: 5 crores
Collection: 30+ crores
6. The Great Father
Megastar Mammootty made a stunning box-office comeback with The Great Father directed by Haneef Adeni. The movie collected Rs 4.31 Crore on the opening day and became the highest fist day grosser by breaking the record set by Pulimurugan. The movie has completed 100 days run in many theatres. Interestingly, The Great Father is the only Malayalam movie to complete 100 days in theatres this year till July.
Budget: 6 crores
Collection: 50+ crores
This list is updated on July 11, 2017
For Updates like us
More from blogs
- Madhura Raja vs. Lucifer: Opening day collection comparison
- Highest grossing South Indian movies at UAE - GCC Box Office
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at Karnataka Box Office
- Odiyan vs. Lucifer: Opening day collection comparison
- Most anticipated Malayalam movies of 2019
- Malayalam Movies 2018: Major disappointments
- Highest grossing Malayalam films at Trivandrum Multiplexes
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at US Box office 2018
- Year End Review - Best Malayalam Movies of 2018
More from boxoffice
- Shylock box office collection report
- Big brother Box office report
- Prathi Poovankozhi Box Office Collection Report
- Valiyaperunnal Box Office Collection Report
- Driving Licence Box Office Collection Report
- Mamangam Kerala Box Office Collection - Area wise breakup
- Mamangam Box Office World wide Collection Report
- Moothon Box Office Collection Report
- Helen Box Office Collection Report
More from News
- Urvashi pairs up with Dileep in Kesu Ee Veedinte Nadhan
- Joju to team up with Ahammed Khabeer again after June
- Lal to pen script for Lal Jr’s next movie
- Nikhila Vimal added to the cast of Mammootty’s next
- Anu Sithara to pair up with Jayasurya again in Aposthalan
- Here’s the title of Kunchacko Boban - John Paul movie
- Tovino Thomas’s big budget superhero movie starts rolling
- Mammootty to play a priest in his next movie?
- Popular cinematographer Ramachandra Babu passes away