Superhit Malayalam movies of 2017
The year started off with a theater strike that battered the Malayalam film industry terribly. However, many nice movies including Take Off, Angamaly Diaries, etc. were released later this year. Here is the budget and box-office gross of superhit Malayalam movies of 2017.
1. Jomonte Suvisheshangal
Eminent director Sathyan Anthikad’s Jomonte Suvisheshangal, which was released on January 19, was the first Malayalam superhit of the year. The movie tells about the efforts made by a carefree young man, to help his father to recover from an unexpected financial setback. Even though, the critics were not very much satisfied with the film, it became a superhit.
Collection: 20+ crores
2. Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol
It created history again, when Malayalam film viewers’ favourite onscreen pair Mohanlal and Meena came together with a family drama. The movie directed by Vellimoonga fame Jibu Jacob tells how parents’ love influences children in a positive way. Munthirivallikal Thalirkkumbol was a superhit and was the fourth consecutive 50 Crore movie for Mohanlal.
Budget: 8 crores
Collection: 50+ crores
It is a hopeful sign that, a path breaking attempt like Ezra that redefines horror in Mollywood, became a box-office success. The movie directed by debutant Jay K was an all-new experience for Malayalam movie lovers. Ezra, starring Prithviraj Sukumaran and Priya Anand in lead roles, was one of the fastest movies to reach 1 Crore club at Cochin multiplexes.
Budget: 10 crores
Collection: 52+ crores
4. Angamaly Diaries
Lijo Jose Pellissery’s Angamaly Diaries can be easily considered as one of the best gang rivalry movie ever produced by Malayalam film industry. The movie, scripted by actor turned scenarist Chemban Vinod Jose, create a grand opportunity for many new faces to prove their talent in acting. The movie produced by Vijay Babu under the banner of Friday Film House, was a surprise superhit and grossed over 20 Crores.
Budget: 3 crores
Collection: 25+ crores
5. Take Off
The grand success of Take Off, the movie which tells the story of Indian nurses, who were held hostage in Iraq by ISIS, underlined the fact that good movies would work in Mollywood even if there are no masala elements. Young talent Parvathy’s soulful performance is the major highlight of the movie, which is directed by editor turned director Mahesh Narayanan.
Budget: 5 crores
Collection: 30+ crores
6. The Great Father
Megastar Mammootty made a stunning box-office comeback with The Great Father directed by Haneef Adeni. The movie collected Rs 4.31 Crore on the opening day and became the highest fist day grosser by breaking the record set by Pulimurugan. The movie has completed 100 days run in many theatres. Interestingly, The Great Father is the only Malayalam movie to complete 100 days in theatres this year till July.
Budget: 6 crores
Collection: 50+ crores
This list is updated on July 11, 2017
You may like
For Updates like us
More from blogs
- 7 Tamil movies with highest first day show count in Kerala
- 5 disappointing Malayalam movies with great trailers
- 6 Malayalam actresses you may not know are married
- 5 interesting similarities between Chackochan and Shalini
- Top 10 non-Malayalam movies with highest Kerala rights
- Malayalam movies that are set to hit screens this Eid
- Top 10 most followed Malayalam actors on Twitter
- 6 Malayalam actors who played father - son duo
- 6 Underrated Malayalam actresses
More from boxoffice
- Tiyaan Box office Collection Report
- Thondimuthalum Driksakshiyum Box office Collection Report
- Roles Models box office collection report
- Oru Cinemaakkaran Box office Collection Report
- Avarude Raavukal Box office Collection Report
- Achayans Box office collection report
- Godha Box office collection report
- Ramante Edanthottam Box office collection report
- Lakshyam Box office collection report
More from News
- Asif Ali’s Thrissivaperoor Kliptham release date confirmed
- Mohanlal’s Velipadinte Pustakam shooting wrapped up
- Ilaiyaraaja launched the audio of Harikumar’s Clint
- Photographer actor Mani to make a comeback with Udalazham
- Amala Paul to share screen space with Nivin Pauly again
- Happy Wedding fame Omar’s Chunkzz set for august release
- Mammootty to reunite with Mayavi team for a new movie
- Dhyan Sreenivasan’s Sachin to start rolling from July 21
- Villain to be simultaneously released in three languages