Directors who appeared in cameo roles
In the earlier stage of Malayalam cinema directors also major roles in their films like J. C. Daniel in Vigathakumaran and Thikkurissi Sukumaran Nair in Sheriyo Thetto. Later, directors like Venu Nagavally and Viji Thampi appeared in small roles in their films. Nowadays many famous directors have made cameo appearances in films that are not even directed by themselves. Here we list some of the directors who appeared in cameo roles in Malayalam cinema.
1. A K Lohithadas
Legendary writer-director A K Lohitadas made cameo appearances in four movies. His first appearance on screen was in ‘Aadharam’. Later he made cameo appearances in movies ‘Veendum Chila Veettukaryangal’, ‘Udayananu Tharam’ and ‘Shakespeare M.A. Malayalam’.
2. Lal Jose
The popular Malayalam filmmaker Lal Jose made cameo appearance in several movies. He played an important role in ‘Ohm Shanthi Oshana’. Earlier Lal Jose has played himself in films like ‘Rock N' Roll’ and ‘Best Actor’ and as an assistant director in ‘Azhakiya Raavanan’.
Popular filmmaker Priyadarshan too made a cameo appearance in a movie. He played himself in the movie ‘Kalimannu’ directed by Blessy. Earlier, he has done a cameo in the film ‘No. 20 Madras Mail’ which was co-directed by him with Joshiy.
Checkout: Hit movie of 2016 so far
The award winning film director Syamaprasad also made cameo appearance in Malayalam movies which are not directed by him. His first appearance as an actor was in malayalam movie ‘Pattam Pole’. Later he acted in several movies such as ‘1 by Two’, ‘Loham’ and ‘Anarkali’
Prominent film maker Renjith made his appearance in several movies. His first onscreen was in the movie ‘Ezhuthapurangal’ directed by Sibi Malayil. Later he has done a full-fledged role in the movie ‘Gulmohar’ directed by Jayaraj.
6. I. V. Sasi
Though he always likes to be behind the scenes, the legendary director I V Sasi also made a cameo appearance in a movie. He played himself in super hit malayalam movie ‘Nadodikkattu’. The movie was directed by Sathyan Anthikkadu
7. Jude Anthany Joseph
Jude Anthany Joseph, director of the superhit movie ‘Ohm Shanthi Oshaana’ also made cameo appearances in several movies. He made cameo appearances in movies ‘Premam’, ‘Action Hero Biju’ and ‘Vettah’.
8. Major Ravi
Former Indian Army Major Ravi has been known for army based movies like ‘Keerthi Chakra’, ‘Kurukshetra’. He made cameo appearances in several movies like ‘Anarkali’, ‘Action Hero Biju’, ‘Pattalam’ etc.
9. Aashiq Abu
The so called new generation director who directed films like ‘Salt N’ Pepper’, ‘22 Female Kottayam’ also made cameo appearances in movies which are not directed by him. He acted in two movies ‘Annayum Rasoolum’ and ‘Iyobinte Pusthakam’
10. V. K. Prakash
The national award winning director V K Prakash also made cameo appearances. He showcased his talent in two movies ‘Kali’ directed by Sameer Thahir and ‘Anarkali’ by Sachy.
11. Rosshan Andrrews
Prominent Malayalam movie maker who is known for his work such as ‘Udayananu Tharam’ and ‘Mumbai Police’ also made a cameo appearance in a movie. He appeared in movie ‘Pachakuthira’ as himself.
12. Anil Radhakrishnan Menon
Mollywood’s one of the most critically acclaimed director Anil Radhakrishnan Menon who made films such as ‘North 24 Katham’ also made a cameo appearance. He played an extended cameo role in Malayalam movie ‘Double barrel’ directed by Lijo Jose Pellissery
13. Viji Thampi
When talking about cameo roles, nobody can ignore the famous director Viji Thampi, who was well known for cameo roles in his own films. He acted in cameo roles in over 10 films. His first cameo appearace was in Achuvettante Veedu as a Taxi driver. In Pachakuthira (2006) and Nagarathil Samsara Vishayam (1991) he appeared himself in cameo roles.
14. Venu Nagavally
Venu Nagavally had appeared in many films in guest appearances. He appeared in P. Padmarajan's Moonampakkam and in Priyadarshan's Minnaram as guest roles. He have also done small roles in his own direction 'Sukhamo Devi'.
Apart from this, P. Padmarajan also appreared in a small role in 1969 film Kallichellamma.
For Updates like us
More from blogs
- Madhura Raja vs. Lucifer: Opening day collection comparison
- Highest grossing South Indian movies at UAE - GCC Box Office
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at Karnataka Box Office
- Odiyan vs. Lucifer: Opening day collection comparison
- Most anticipated Malayalam movies of 2019
- Malayalam Movies 2018: Major disappointments
- Highest grossing Malayalam films at Trivandrum Multiplexes
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at US Box office 2018
- Year End Review - Best Malayalam Movies of 2018
More from boxoffice
- Ittymaani Made in China Box Office Collection
- Love Action Drama Box Office Collection
- Porinju Mariam Jose Box Office Collection
- Thanneer Mathan Dinangal Box Office Collection
- Shubharathri Box Office Collection
- Pathinettam Padi Box Office Collection
- Kakshi: Amminippilla Box Office Collection
- Luca Box Office Collection
- And the Oskar Goes To Box Office Collection
More from News
- Bollywood actor Sobhita Dhulipala joins Dulquer’s Kurup
- Jayasurya’s Anweshanam gets an official release date
- Aditi Rao Hydari to pair up with Jayasurya in her next
- Rajisha Vijayan to pair up with Dhanush in her Tamil debut
- Mohanlal – Jeethu Joseph movie to go on floors in November
- Anusree to pair up with Dileep in Sugeeth’s My Santa
- Anusree and Manju Warrier to play salesgirls in their next
- Deepu Karunakaran to team up with Prithviraj again
- Asif Ali – Mathukutti team’s Kunjeldho starts rolling