Christmas Movies 2018: Who is the real winner?
2018 Christmas is the season in which Mollywood has witnessed the epic fight between Mohanlal and the young actors in the town at the box office. Two debutant directors, VA Shrikumar Menon and Jose Sebastian, too have tried their luck with their movie at the box office this season. Five movies that was in the race were Odiyan, Njan Prakashan, Pretham 2, Thattumpurathu Achuthan and Ente Ummante Peru. Let’s analyze which movie could live up to the expectations and satisfy the audience.
Mohanlal – VA Shrikumar Menon team’s grand budget movie Odiyan was one of the long anticipated movies because of several reasons including electrifying promotions and the lead actor’s physical transformation to get in to the skin of the role. However, the movie failed miserably to satisfy the audience. Our reviewer said, “An old clichéd plot gets an execution that is even more lackluster making the whole experience an extremely dull and disappointing one.” However, the movie is performing well at the box office.
Our rating: 2/5
2. Thattumpurathu Achuthan
Thattumpurathu Achuthan, from the Kunchacko Boban – Lal Jose – Sindhuraj trio, was expected to be a family comedy entertainer that might be fared well by the family audience. But, unfortunately, the then acclaimed director Lal Jose, couldn’t make a comeback this time as well. According to our reviewer,” Thattumpurathu Achuthan scripted by M Sindhuraj is a script that should have got shelved a decade back.”
Our rating: 2/5
3. Pretham 2
Ranjith Sankar – Jayasurya team could maintain their minimum guarantee tag this time as well with the movie Pretham 2. The horror comedy entertainer, which is a spin off to the 2016 movie Pretham, is a decent entertainer even though it cannot be considered as a great piece of art. Our reviewer said, “Pretham 2 is fun for sure. It is very much similar to its first part. And that similarity makes it passable for the humor factor and underwhelming for the lack of surprise in the content.”
Our rating: 2/5
4. Ente Ummante Peru
Tovino Thomas starrer Ente Ummante Peru, directed by debutant Jose Sebastian, was the movie with least pre-release hype this season. However, the movie was surprisingly good and the chemistry between Tovino and Urvashi was something that should be praised. Our reviewer said, “Ente Ummante Peru is a watchable movie that needed better writing to win the hearts of the audience.” However, the box office performance of the movie is below average.
Our rating: 2.5/5
5. Njan Prakashan
Njan Prakashan from the dream combo Sathyan Anthikkad, Sreenivasan and Fahadh Faasil, is, undoubtedly, the best movie of the season and the winner! It is a typical Sathyan Anthikkad style movie garnished with a good script by Sreenivasan, after a long time, and a fantastic performance by Fahadh Faasil. Our reviewer said, “Njan Prakashan isn’t a novel concept to surprise you. But the wit in writing and the effortlessness in performances will give you the kind of laughter you always wanted to get from the combination of Sathyan Anthikkadu and Sreenivasan.”
Our rating: 3/5
For Updates like us
More from blogs
- Madhura Raja vs. Lucifer: Opening day collection comparison
- Highest grossing South Indian movies at UAE - GCC Box Office
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at Karnataka Box Office
- Odiyan vs. Lucifer: Opening day collection comparison
- Most anticipated Malayalam movies of 2019
- Malayalam Movies 2018: Major disappointments
- Highest grossing Malayalam films at Trivandrum Multiplexes
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at US Box office 2018
- Year End Review - Best Malayalam Movies of 2018
More from boxoffice
- Shubharathri Box Office Collection
- Pathinettam Padi Box Office Collection
- Kakshi: Amminippilla Box Office Collection
- Luca Box Office Collection
- And the Oskar Goes To Box Office Collection
- Unda Box Office Collection Report
- Virus Box Office Collection Report
- Uyare Box Office Collection Report
- Oru Yamandan Premakadha Box Office Collection
More from News
- Jayaram’s Pattabhiraman is all set for release
- Dulquer Salmaan, Sunny Wayne to team up once again
- Surya TV bags the rights of two biggies back to back
- Lijo Jose Pellissery’s Jallikattu gets a release date?
- Dileep’s next with Major Ravi to be shot in Kashmir?
- Vinayan’s Aakasha Ganga 2 release pushed to October
- Manju Warrier to team up with Rosshan Andrrews again
- Aashiq Abu to do a gangster movie with Mammootty
- Joju George to share screen space with Dhanush soon?