Best Malayalam movies of 2018: Half yearly report card
2018 is a year that witnessed many incredible Malayalam movies with a substantial plot. Around 92 Malayalam movies were released in the first half of the year. However, the success rate was not so optimistic. It is sad that some commendable movies like Carbon, Poomaram, and Eeda couldn't taste the success. Take a look at the list of best Malayalam movies of 2018 so far.
Undoubtedly, Ee.Ma.Yau, directed by Lijo Jose Pellissery, is the best Malayalam movie released this year so far. Written by national award-winning writer P. F. Mathews, Ee.Ma.Yau revolves around the funeral of an older man from the Latin Catholic community in a seaside village of Ernakulam. Terrific performances from actors like Vinayakan and Chemban Vinod took the movie to another level.
2. Sudani from Nigeria
Sudani from Nigeria is, obviously, a movie that stands head to head with Ee.Ma.Yau in terms of making quality. Set in the backdrop of Sevens football matches held in the Malabar area, the movie, written and directed by debutant Zakariya, is a perfect blend of human emotions. The performances by every actor, especially by Soubin Shahir, Savithri Sreedharan, and Sarasa Balussery, were extraordinary.
Directed by National Award-winning filmmaker Venu, Carbon tells the story of a jobless young man searching for a mythical treasure in a jungle. Intense making and some stunning visuals captured by K U Mohanan make this movie a fantabulous experience. Great performances from actors including Fahadh Faasil, Mamta Mohandas and Manikandan Achari too are very much appreciable.
Abrid Shine’s Poomaram was an experience more than a film, much like his previous movies. The Kalidas Jayaram starrer is a joyful and enthusiastic journey through the MG University Youth Festival, which takes place every year. However, the movie couldn’t repeat the box-office success of Abrid Shine’s previous ventures like 1983 and Action Hero Biju.
5. S Durga
Sanal Kumar Sasidharan’s S Durga is a movie that largely explores the moral policing side of the self-centered society we are currently living in. The movie has won several international awards including Hivos Tiger Award at the 2017 International Film Festival Rotterdam, and the Golden Apricot at Armenia's Yerevan International Film Festival. However, the movie failed miserably at the box office.
Directed by editor turned filmmaker B Ajithkumar, Eeda is an adaptation of William Shakespeare’s renowned drama Romeo and Juliet. Set in the backdrop of politically violent Kannur, Eeda is a beautifully crafted romance drama, like most other Romeo and Juliet adaptations. Authentic performances from the lead actors are one of the major highlights of it.
7. Njan Marykutty
Ranjith Sankar – Jayasurya team clearly deserve a standing ovation to make a movie, which is based on an LGBT related topic. Jayasurya has played the role of a transsexual woman in the film. Njan Marykutty might be the first Malayalam movie that treated a transgender person with dignity.
However, there is still plenty of movies to look forward to. Let's hope for a great year for Malayalam film industry!
For Updates like us
More from blogs
- Madhura Raja vs. Lucifer: Opening day collection comparison
- Highest grossing South Indian movies at UAE - GCC Box Office
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at Karnataka Box Office
- Odiyan vs. Lucifer: Opening day collection comparison
- Most anticipated Malayalam movies of 2019
- Malayalam Movies 2018: Major disappointments
- Highest grossing Malayalam films at Trivandrum Multiplexes
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at US Box office 2018
- Year End Review - Best Malayalam Movies of 2018
More from boxoffice
- Oru Yamandan Premakadha Box Office Collection
- Madhura Raja Worldwide Box Office Collection
- Athiran Box Office Collection
- Madhura Raja Kerala Box Office Collection
- Mera Naam Shaji Box Office Collection
- Lucifer Worldwide Box Office Collection
- Lucifer Kerala Box Office Collection
- Argentina Fans Kaattoorkadavu Box Office Collection
- Mr. & Ms. Rowdy Box Office Collection
More from News
- Mammootty’s MadhuraRaja crosses 80 Crore mark
- Satna Titus is all set to make her Mollywood debut soon
- Vineeth to star in Gireesh AD’s debut directorial venture
- Uyare to be the first Malayalam movie released in Korea
- Its a wrap up for Lal Jose – Biju Menon team’s Nalpathiyonnu
- Dulquer’s maiden production venture is not titled yet
- Indrajith starrer Paapam Cheyyathavar Kalleriyatte to go on floors soon
- Omar Lulu’s next movie with Chunkzz team gets a title
- The wait for Lucifer 2 won’t be long, hints Murali Gopy