Best Malayalam movies of 2018: Half yearly report card
2018 is a year that witnessed many incredible Malayalam movies with a substantial plot. Around 92 Malayalam movies were released in the first half of the year. However, the success rate was not so optimistic. It is sad that some commendable movies like Carbon, Poomaram, and Eeda couldn't taste the success. Take a look at the list of best Malayalam movies of 2018 so far.
Undoubtedly, Ee.Ma.Yau, directed by Lijo Jose Pellissery, is the best Malayalam movie released this year so far. Written by national award-winning writer P. F. Mathews, Ee.Ma.Yau revolves around the funeral of an older man from the Latin Catholic community in a seaside village of Ernakulam. Terrific performances from actors like Vinayakan and Chemban Vinod took the movie to another level.
2. Sudani from Nigeria
Sudani from Nigeria is, obviously, a movie that stands head to head with Ee.Ma.Yau in terms of making quality. Set in the backdrop of Sevens football matches held in the Malabar area, the movie, written and directed by debutant Zakariya, is a perfect blend of human emotions. The performances by every actor, especially by Soubin Shahir, Savithri Sreedharan, and Sarasa Balussery, were extraordinary.
Directed by National Award-winning filmmaker Venu, Carbon tells the story of a jobless young man searching for a mythical treasure in a jungle. Intense making and some stunning visuals captured by K U Mohanan make this movie a fantabulous experience. Great performances from actors including Fahadh Faasil, Mamta Mohandas and Manikandan Achari too are very much appreciable.
Abrid Shine’s Poomaram was an experience more than a film, much like his previous movies. The Kalidas Jayaram starrer is a joyful and enthusiastic journey through the MG University Youth Festival, which takes place every year. However, the movie couldn’t repeat the box-office success of Abrid Shine’s previous ventures like 1983 and Action Hero Biju.
5. S Durga
Sanal Kumar Sasidharan’s S Durga is a movie that largely explores the moral policing side of the self-centered society we are currently living in. The movie has won several international awards including Hivos Tiger Award at the 2017 International Film Festival Rotterdam, and the Golden Apricot at Armenia's Yerevan International Film Festival. However, the movie failed miserably at the box office.
Directed by editor turned filmmaker B Ajithkumar, Eeda is an adaptation of William Shakespeare’s renowned drama Romeo and Juliet. Set in the backdrop of politically violent Kannur, Eeda is a beautifully crafted romance drama, like most other Romeo and Juliet adaptations. Authentic performances from the lead actors are one of the major highlights of it.
7. Njan Marykutty
Ranjith Sankar – Jayasurya team clearly deserve a standing ovation to make a movie, which is based on an LGBT related topic. Jayasurya has played the role of a transsexual woman in the film. Njan Marykutty might be the first Malayalam movie that treated a transgender person with dignity.
However, there is still plenty of movies to look forward to. Let's hope for a great year for Malayalam film industry!
For Updates like us
More from blogs
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies 2018 - UAE - GCC
- 10 Popular Malayalam movies that changed its title
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at Kochi Multiplex - 2018
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at Calicut box office 2018
- 7 Tamil movies with biggest opening at Kochi multiplexes
- Top 7 upcoming big-budget Malayalam movies 2018 – 2019
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at Kerala box office 2018
- Malayalam films with top opening weekend gross in Tamil Nadu
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at UAE box office - 2018
More from boxoffice
- Mandharam Box Office Collection
- Chalakkudikkaran Changathi Box Office Collection
- Mangalyam Thanthunanena Box Office Collection
- Saamy2 Kerala Box Office Collection Report
- Varathan Box Office Collection
- Padayottam Box Office Collection
- Oru Kuttanadan Blog Box Office Collection
- Theevandi Box Office Collection
- Ranam Box Office Collection
More from News
- Aanakallan clears censor formalities, ready for release
- Randamoozham will happen for sure, confirms producer
- Kayamkulam Kochunni crosses 25 crore mark worldwide
- MT Vasudevan Nair backs out of the film Randamoozham
- Confirmed: Siddique to direct Mohanlal in his next
- Asif Ali - Arun Kumar Aravind team’s next gets a title
- Nazriya Nazim joins the cast of Fahadh Faasil’s Trance
- Parvathy to play an acid attack survivor in her next
- Eh!? Filming of Mohanlal's Odiyan is not completed yet