Best Malayalam movies of 2016
Undoubtedly Guppy is the best film of this year so far and unfortunately did not get the deserving accolades from box office. The movie revolves around a boy Guppy and the issues he caused to the engineer Tejas Varkey on his visit to their village for building an railway overbridge. As an audience, you may go through different emotions while watching the movie and the director very well succeeded in portraying a simple story with great craft. Soothing music and strong story really attributed to make such a wonderful movie. All the characters are portrayed by respective artists very well. Especially the performance of Chethan Jayalal and Tovino Thomas stands out in this movie. You wont be surprised if Chetan gets a State award next year for his performance in this film. It is very sad that the movie did not get deserving accolades from the Kerala Boxoffice.
2. Jacobinte Swargarajyam
Jacobinte Swargarajyam was an excellent family oriented movie, made by Vineeth Sreenivasan. It is not very easy to portrait a real life story to a movie, but Vineeth has done justice and ofcourse his efforts are not in vain, as the movie was super hit. A period of 5-6 years happened to be a hectic time, in the life of Jacob Zackaria, his wife Sherly, their children Gregory, Basil, Merlin and Chris. Their life had an inspiring story to tell, which inspired Vineeth to make it a movie. Renji Panicker, Lakshmy Ramakrishnan, Nivin Pauly, Sreenath Bhasi, Aima Sebastian and Stacen played the family of Jacob in the film.
Mohanlal - Priyadarshan is back with a blockbuster this year. The film has not only impressed many but has broken many box office records. It tells the story of a blind man and his adventures to save the life of a kid. Mohanlal plays the character of a blind man, Jayaraman who has special skills eventhough he is blind. The director has succeeded to keep the audience engaged through out the movie. Apart from Mohanlal, the performances of Samuthirakani, Anusree, Mamukkoya and Chemban Vinod were praiseworthy.
4. Maheshinte Prathikaram
Maheshinte Prathikaram was made based on a true incident in the life of Kuriyachira Purushan (popularly known as Thampan Purushan). Purushan was publicly beaten up and insulted. He vowed to wear his slippers only after he avenged the man who humiliated him. But he had to wait for 3 years for taking revenge, as that man had gone to Dubai for a job. Purushan was a neighbour of Syam Pushkaran( screen-writer of the movie). The film paid tribute to Purushan, who died in December 2015 while the film was in post-production. Fahadh Fasil played the title role of Mahesh (Purushu) and it was a great come back for him after a long time. They had to add some artificial fiction and romance to make the movie more entertaining.
Rajeev Ravi directed action thriller movie Kammattipaadam has won accolades from both film critics and audiences. This intensed movie was telling the story of forgotten place Kammatipadam and the lives of people who lived there. The film unearthed the unadulterated beauty of black skin by portraying the lives of Dalits. Lead actors Dulquer Salman, Vinayakan and Manikandan Achari delivered memorable performance in this film.
6. Action Hero Biju
Nivin Pauly's character, sub-inspector Biju Paulose in Action Hero Biju, was very much appreciated. Nivin had a taken so much effort to know more about the real character of a police officer in and out of a police station. The movie had good social messages which made many of us really feel proud of our police department and also made us think that, how difficult the job and life of a police officer is.
Kismath is a love story featuring Sruthi Menon and Shane Nigam in lead roles. The story revolves around the friendship and love of a 28 year old girl and a 23 year old boy from different religions and problems they face in the society. The movie is based on a real life story of a Ponnani couple, Irfan and Anita. Irfan belongs to a Muslim community and Anita is a Dalit (lower caste) Hindu girl. The real story was visualized and known by the director of Kismath, Shanavas K Bavakutty, who was a politician and Municipal Councilor of Ponnani. He says at the end of the tragic love story, Irfan is no more and Anita lives with her mother now.
8. Anuraga Karikkin Vellam
Anuraga Karikkin Vellam is family entertainer starring Biju Menon, Asha Sarath, Asif Ali, Rejisha Vijayan and Sudheer Karamana in lead roles. The movie narrated the story of typical Malayali family and happenings. Anuraga Karikkin Vellam is directed by debutant director Khalid Rahman. The movie depicted a good family and love story in an accepted approach.
9. Puthiya Niyamam
Puthiya Niyamam was a thriller movie which narrated the life of Advocate Louis Pothen and his wife Vasuki Iyer. Vasuki gets gang raped by her neighbors. She hides it from her husband as she does not have the mettle to tell him. She takes the help from DCP Jeena to take revenge against the rapists. She finishes off one by one and finally gave word to DCP that she will never show any acquaintance. But the suspense was that it was her husband who mocked the sound of DCP and guided Vasuki to kill them. Nayanthara and Mammotty played lead roles as Vasuki and Louis Pothen. Sheelu Abraham played the role of DCP Jeena.
For Updates like us
More from blogs
- Madhura Raja vs. Lucifer: Opening day collection comparison
- Highest grossing South Indian movies at UAE - GCC Box Office
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at Karnataka Box Office
- Odiyan vs. Lucifer: Opening day collection comparison
- Most anticipated Malayalam movies of 2019
- Malayalam Movies 2018: Major disappointments
- Highest grossing Malayalam films at Trivandrum Multiplexes
- Highest grossing Malayalam movies at US Box office 2018
- Year End Review - Best Malayalam Movies of 2018
More from boxoffice
- Trance box office collection report
- Anjaam Pathiraa Box office Collection Report
- Varane Avashyamund Box office Collection Report
- Ayyappanum Koshiyum Box office Collection Report
- Shylock box office collection report
- Big brother Box office report
- Prathi Poovankozhi Box Office Collection Report
- Valiyaperunnal Box Office Collection Report
- Driving Licence Box Office Collection Report
More from News
- Urvashi pairs up with Dileep in Kesu Ee Veedinte Nadhan
- Joju to team up with Ahammed Khabeer again after June
- Lal to pen script for Lal Jr’s next movie
- Nikhila Vimal added to the cast of Mammootty’s next
- Anu Sithara to pair up with Jayasurya again in Aposthalan
- Here’s the title of Kunchacko Boban - John Paul movie
- Tovino Thomas’s big budget superhero movie starts rolling
- Mammootty to play a priest in his next movie?
- Popular cinematographer Ramachandra Babu passes away